Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Lost (and found)

I first got inspired about this theme when I saw the trailer of a short film, Lost and Found, which was adopted from an illustration book of the same title. Its synopsis was a penguin appeared at the doorsteps of a little boy one day, and the boy decided to bring it home, even if it means rowing a boat all the way to South Pole…

After I watched the trailer, I tried finding the full film on the Internet, but to no avail. Apparently, no one posted it up, and neither can I find the scanned version of the book itself.






































That’s when it struck me. Maybe, maybe I could do something about this theme for coursework! Although it is a children’s illustration book, the theme truly intrigued me. If the book was titled “Lost”, it probably would not have interested me as much as it have now. It was because of the “found” that drew me to explore into this theme. As a person who cannot fully appreciate ‘emo’ art, I decided that theme really fits my style. Perhaps a part of my coursework can be mainly based on ‘lost’, but also include a small part that will represent the ‘found’ part (hope)?

Actually (fine I admit), the ‘lost’ part of the theme got to me too. People nowadays (myself included), all we care about is what we’ve gained. New materialistic things we bought, the new knowledge we gained, but little do people concern what we have lost in the process of trying to gain. Let’s see:

Studying just for the sake of getting better results: Gains new knowledge, better results. Loss of freedom/time to do what you’re really passionate about.

Shop: Gain materialistic pleasure, pride. Loss of self-control to stop.

Fitting in: Gain new friends, popularity. Loss of personal identity.

Sacrifice much huh? This is exactly why I feel the need to bring this situation up, where people are neglecting some of their more important losses for the gain of things that seem so much more meager in comparison.

Other possible interpretations of lost are: lost you way home, chances lost, time lost, dreams lost, lost between choices, loss of innocence etc.

Something I really like is the idea of ‘lost between choices’. To me, it really applies in my life. Come on, in a world like we’re living in now, who doesn’t have to make choices? An insignificant but true example: it used to be ‘eat what you have’, but now its like it’s a life-changing decision when you choose which stall to eat from during lunchtime. Ok, that might not be very relevant but seriously, we have so many choices in our lives right now, and it’s definitely not hard to get lost in them, not knowing which one you should choose. Surely one would have asked yourself this “what should I do?”, “how should I act?”, in which you are in a total state of confusion.

Oh well, I need to choose a sub-theme where the ‘found’ component can be incorporated into…

Ugh, right now, everything is in a mess, ideas all over the place, yet nothing finalized.

No comments:

Post a Comment